Translate

Monday, April 6, 2015

How to Recognize a Curse in a Modern Cartomancy Reading

Every so often I encounter a client who is experiencing a streak of bad luck, and is convinced that he or she is the victim of a curse. The client will ask for confirmation of the psychic attack in the cards. In most cases, the bad luck is the result of poor decision making or bad money management on the client’s part. But every now and again I do see sinister forces reflected in the cards.

The pivotal card I look for in a reading to suggest a curse is the Ten of Spades-- particularly when it appears in a cluster with other spades, and especially with the 9 of Spades which will warn that the querent is being harmed by the black intentions. The surrounding cards will usually describe the source and effects of the psychic attack.

Here are a few cartomancy meanings I associate with psychic and spiritual matters that can describe both white magick and black magick…†

10 of Spades = black magick, psychic attack, evil forces at work
9 of Spades = harm, injury, being coerced, graveyard
7 of Spades = oils, potions, washes, bath
3 of Spades = a ritual or spell, incense
King or Queen of Spades = an enemy or a rival, a deceased person
5 of Clubs = crossroads
3 of clubs = herbs, roots, powders
Ace of Hearts = the soul
3 of Hearts = prayer, affirmations
7 of Hearts = healing
8 of Hearts = a Saint, an angel, a spirit guide, protection, an ancestor
Ace of Diamonds = the spirit, the astral body, the spirit world, a candle flame
4 of Diamonds = altar
6 of Diamonds = divination
8 of Diamonds = a spirit being, rootwork, balancing spiritual energies
9 of Diamond = psychic ability, clairvoyance, mind power
10 of Diamonds = mediumship, contact with the spirit world, white magick
King or Queen of Diamonds = an energy worker/root worker
†This list is by no means exhaustive.

Sample Cartomancy Reading: How to recognize Psychic Attack


The querent had a confrontation with a woman he suspects is using magick against him. He has been experiencing a streak of bad luck, and suspects that he may be the victim of a curse.

Question: Is the woman using black magick against me?



10S…..8H…..QD
4C……AD…...JS

The first column represents the premise of the question. It describes the current situation in reference to the question. The 10 of Spades is the key card I look for to indicate black magic, and the 4 of Clubs shows a sympathetic connection with the querent. These cards suggest that someone has tried to send evil intentions toward the querent. Specifically, the 4 of clubs suggests a form of sympathetic magic in which a prop is used, such as a candle or doll, to represent the querent. The negative intentions are put into the object (10S → 4C) that connects with the energy of the querent.

The middle column answers the question, and suggests that this attack has not been successful. The 8 of Hearts is a card of protection, and the Ace of Diamonds is spirit. These cards suggest that the querent is protected and watched over by spirit. Although the curse may be creating minor problems, the malevolent energy cannot do him serious harm.

The final column reveals additional information to be considered. The Queen of Diamonds is a female energy worker. The Jack of Spades describes her nefarious thoughts. This woman is angry and resentful, and she harbors malicious intentions toward the querent. She is projecting her negative thoughts (Jack of Spades).

I find this reading to be particularly interesting because the answer to the question is “yes,” the querent's suspicions are affirmed. The woman is using black magic against him. This answer is confirmed by the Jack of Spades as the pivot card showing negative intentions. But the middle column shows that querent is protected from serious harm by his spirit guide, or perhaps by an ancestor (8 of Hearts) in spirit (Ace of Diamonds). Notice how the Jack turns away from the Ace. Spiritual protection is redirecting the negativity away from the querent. The Ace of Diamonds also suggests that a candle offering to the spirit being (8 of Hearts) will further strengthen the protection.

23 comments:

  1. Your mastery over reading playing cards makes it seem so easy! I am going to write down the suggestions of magic in my journal and reflect on them. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kapherus, I remember you mentioning the 7 of clubs as the over all magic card. In the sense of working and doing magic.

    Since the 7 of spades has a negative connotation, how could we come about seeing it as a cleansing wash? or the 3 of spades as lucky incense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Apo,
    Yes, the 7 of Clubs can represent a magickal working. The 7 of Spades can be negative, but it also represents medication which aids in healing, and alcohol which is an antiseptic. In the same way, 7 of Spades can represent a cleansing wash. The 3 of Spades can be negative as well, but it also represent smoke, and that is where the idea of "incense" comes from. In a general sense, the Spades represent cleansing and elimination. For me, they serve the same function in spiritual matters. I am just sharing the meanings that work for me. Other meanings may work better for you if these do not resonate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mónica Laura. If I make it seem easy, it's only because I have had many years of practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, i did not know that the 3 of spades represents smoke. To me a good indicative of dark magic is the 5 of spades, since the 5 can represent a hand, the spade would be the dark hand that hurts and punishes. Contrary to the 5 of hearts that heals, caresses and blesses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, your attributions make perfect sense to me. In fact, the 5S can represent the left-hand path for me as well. My meanings are really just an example of what works for me. I encourage you to continue to explore how the cards speak to you about spiritual matters. I appreciate your comments, Apo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks once more for another insightful and learnful post! As I can see from your example the answer is already in the first column. That's interesting! And I loved the voodoo doll ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, daquiprai. Yes, in a sense the answer is in the first column because it shows what is already in existence in relation to the question. In this case what the querent is really asking is: "Am I being harmed by a curse?" And that question is answered by the middle column.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for this fascinating and very informative post, Kapherus. In this reading, the middle cards were there to show the inquirer that there were also benevolent forces around to protect him. What if such cards didn't show up and the inquirer wanted to know what he could do to overcome the negative influences around him? Could you give an example reading (when you have time) that would show that (and which cards would be associated with what, as you did here with the Queen of Hearts and the Ace of Diamonds), but also showing what the inquirer himself can do? For example, if we had an card representing an energy worker associated with a positive card, one could say in this case, that maybe an energy worker might help. Sorry about the convoluted question:):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yuri,
    Thanks for your comments and questions. I do have a reading example that shows a negative influence. I just need to acquire the querent's permission to share it publicly on the blog. If I can get the permission, I will post another sample reading that should answer your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much! Your post answer some questions in my mind. Sometimes I feel these influences when I shuffle the cards, and In these cases is Very usual a lot of spades in the sequence of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry! I have another question. Is possible a Ace S be a soul of someone death , or influence of a bad spirit?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Kapherus! Looking forward to it. (An example that shows what a person can do to overcome a negative influence, that is.)
    @Daquiprai (and Kapherus): That's gotta be the friendliest-looking voodoo doll I've ever seen. Almost like a Teddy Bear:)
    Cheers, all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always, your readings are on point. people like you remind me true card readers still exist. :) you should consider doing readings online for people again. I’m sure plenty of people would be interested in it! (myself included) your fan base is hugeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh shoot. on my phone and just saw you offer them by email! my bad. glad to see your blog back kaph!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Ohayochan. Your kind words are deeply appreciated. I still do most of my readings in person, but I'm beginning to offer email readings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry, Yuri. I was not able to get permission from the querent to share the reading publicly, but I am still searching for another good example that I can share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's OK, Kapherus. We already have so much we can learn from here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kap...you are our great master...we learn more from h

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kapherus and thanks for another great article! Would the 9 of Spades also speak to black magic or bad intentions in a spread about reaching ones goal/wish? I recently read with the answer spread for someone regarding if they would reach a relationship goal. The middle row was 9 spades to 9 of diamonds. This article popped in my head! I got a little nervous seeing the 9 of spades card there, but with the the 10 of spades and 7 of Clubs absent, and hearts/diamonds dominating, I didn't feel magic was present. Was I too fast to conclude there was no negative energy work involved in the 9 of Spades?

    ReplyDelete
  21. No, I would not automatically assume black magic when you see the 9 of Spades. I would expect to see other cards point to a psychic attack or bad luck before I would consider it. Sometimes the 9S is merely stress or pressure in a situation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Playing cards are very good indeed to spot black magic. Thanks for this great article. Cards can have many meanings. You spoke about 7s meaning a cleansing bath for instance. Since 7 relate to the thoughts and spades relate to problems, I also see 7s as representing the "evil eye" aka dark and evil thoughts. Likewise, interesting that you point out 8h as representing angels. I don't disagree with that but since 7 also refer to the 7th heaven, I also consider 7h representing angels. I guess there are no right/wrong answer, it all goes with the flow and the intuition of the reader.

    ReplyDelete